Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Turn A Skirt And Shirt Into Dress

At the thrift store I found a skirt that looked like it was hand made it wasn't very pretty or fit me but I liked the material and colors. In my closet I had a coral color shirt that matched the skirt. And since summer is on its way I decided that another summer dress wouldn't hurt.


Its very simple and easy to do and there is nothing to it.


Start by measuring how long you want the top part of the dress to be. I cut my shirt 2 inches longer than the length I wanted, just in case, because it looks different when you try it on. You can cut the extra off if its not needed at the end.


Cut the waist band off of the skirt and take it in if needed. But the skirt should be at least 3-4inches bigger than your waist that way you can gather it. I made mine a perfect rectangle.
With the shirt inside out place 2 pins at the seams on the sides. Then fold the shirt in half with those pins touching and place 2 pins one marking the middle of the front and another marking the middle of the back.
Do the same thing with the skirt.

Line up the 4 pins on the shirt with the pins on the skirt and pin in place.
Then work your way around pinning the rest of the skirt and making half an inch pleats. I made 6 pleats in the front and six in the back.
Then try it on and see if it fits good. Sew in place. Cut extra fabric off.


Hem the bottom to the desired length. And your done.
Since my skirt had a nice waist band on it originally I hand stitched it back on, but it looks good with out it too. And that's it. It's quite simple.





And then we took the dress and Alina for a carousel ride. Ha

3 comments:

Natasha G said...

hey, that is very lovely!!!
good job! :)

Lyudmila said...

Thank You very much

Anonymous said...

hi i like that too i will do for my self like that . thanks for idea